Adrenal adenoma: operation or observation?
Adenoma of the adrenal gland is called benign tumor of the adrenal gland – an organ located above the kidneys. Because the kidney is usually the body's two adrenal gland and also two.
The adrenal glands are the glands and treat the endocrine system of the human body. These glands perform 2 main functions:
- Regulate the metabolism.
- Responsible for the adaptation of body systems to stress.
The causes and manifestations
The tumor has a capsule with a homogeneous content.
Adenoma is quite a serious disease, as there is a possibility of degeneration of benign tumors into malignant.
The reason for the emergence and growth of the adenoma is hormonal changes. The appearance of adenomas of the adrenal gland in women is often associated with hormonal contraceptives.
Adenoma must be treated. The earlier the diagnosis and treatment is started, the lower the probability of conversion of tumor into malignant. Adenoma itself has an impact on human health and affect nearby organs.
Manifestations of the disease depend on the hormone produced by the adenoma:
In the early stages of development of tumors of the adrenal gland symptoms may be absent. With the development of the disease appear and increase the symptoms of adenoma of the adrenal gland (in case of adenoma of the cortisol):
- Growth of body weight. Adenoma affect the normal production of hormones by the adrenal glands, for this reason increasing the weight. This symptom shows up in 9 of 10 patients. Weight is not growing evenly, the fat deposits are concentrated on the face, neck, chest, abdomen. On the hands (wrists), on the contrary, subcutaneous fat may disappear.
- Muscle atrophy, which is especially visible on the legs, buttocks, shoulders. The result of the atrophy be a difficulty when standing up, movements in which a large load is on his feet. Atrophy of the abdominal muscles entails the appearance of hernias, protrusion of the abdomen.
- Atrophy, thinning of the skin. Consequence – the appearance of stretch marks. The so-called red streaks on the skin. They appear on the abdomen, shoulders, chest, inner thighs.
- Osteoporosis changes in bone tissue. Leaching of minerals from bone tissue. Can develop compression fractures, reduced height of the vertebrae. As a result of osteoporosis becomes severe fractures, the most dangerous of them is the fracture of the spine, femoral neck.
In the development of adenoma aldosterone:
- The body retains sodium, the liquid, which leads to an increase in blood pressure.
- Due to the increased excretion with urine of potassium, its level in the blood is reduced, there are cramps, muscle weakness.
In the development of adenoma of Androsterone (this hormone is the male sex):
- In women signs, characteristic for men: muscles, tone of voice, body hair, face becoming smaller Breasts, and the clitoris, on the contrary, more fails of the menstrual cycle.
- Men in this type of adenoma symptoms are virtually absent, because of this, patients tend to later seek medical attention or disease is detected incidentally during the diagnostic procedures for other purposes.
If the adrenal adenoma is benign, small size, no hormonal activity of the neoplasm, the adenoma does not need treatment.
In this case, it shows the monitoring tumor dynamics. A CT scan is performed not less than once in 12 months and a blood test for hormone levels.
If the active adenoma (secretes hormones), has a size of 4 cm, then surgical treatment – removal of the tumor. The operation is quite complex, so must be carried out by an experienced surgeon in a specializedconditions.
There are 3 types of operations:
- Open – the most common type. Adenoma is removed through incision of skin, muscles, diaphragm. The most traumatic.
- Laparoscopic. Are punctures in the abdominal wall in front, through which are introduced the tools and removed the tumor. The consequence may be the appearance of adhesions.
- Retroperitoneoscopic access – the most modern and least traumatic type of surgery. Punctures are made in the lumbar region. The patient recovers quickly.
At the initial stage of the disease when the operation is not shown, it is possible to treat adenomas of the adrenal gland folk remedies.
You need to remember that any treatment should be agreed with a specialist, a doctor-endocrinologist.
For the treatment of adrenal used the following herbs:
- Geranium (stimulates the glands).
- Mulberry (reduces the production of hormones).
- The lungwort.
- The collection of nettle, knotweed, horsetail, nettle, thallus.
- Black currant (berries, leaves).
- Blooming oats.
Any kind of treatment of the adenoma should be carried out under the supervision of a specialist.