Fibroma of the skin: causes and treatments
On the human body for certain reasons may appear benign neoplasm of connective tissue cells, called in medicine fibroids of the skin. By themselves, significant health risks they represent, rather slowly increasing in size and rarely transforms into a malignant tumor.
However, it is to ignore this kind of fibroids is still not worth it since they can trigger the development of serious complications. So, for example, is damaged by the negligence of the tumor, experiencing a lack of blood supply, causes pain, swelling, inflammation, and even mortification of the skin.
So what you need to know about fibroids of the skin, and how to behave in the event of such tumors?
The causes of fibroids
Benign tumors of this kind are formed in the deepest layer of epithelium, therefore, often referred to as fibroids under the skin. They may appear absolutely anywhere on the human body, and tumors can occur, starting from adolescence. But before puberty fibroids are formed very rarely.
The real cause of these tumors is not currently identified, however, there were certain factors that can trigger the development of fibroids:
- Heredity. In persons whose relatives have on the body fibroma of the skin, the probability to acquire them over time increases substantially.
- Hormonal imbalance. It is known that patients with endocrine diseases to a greater extent prone to the appearance of fibroids on the skin. There is also a correlation between the development of these tumors and to certain periods in human life associated with serious hormonal changes. We are talking about adolescence, pregnancy and menopause in women.
- Age-related changes of the skin. The appearance of fibroids is directly related to the natural aging process of the skin.
- The adverse impact of external factors: trauma, constant mechanical irritation of a certain area of the skin, prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation, etc.
There are two varieties of these tumors:
- The soft fibroma. Their appearance largely affects women. Tumors of this kind are localized mainly on the eyelids, neck, chest, arms and in the groin and armpits. Consists mostly of adipose tissue and is outwardly very similar to a small wrinkled SAC on a short stalk. Size soft fibromas varies from 1 to 3 cm, the shape can be round or oval, the color is often yellowish, perhaps with a reddish or brown tint.
- Hard fibroma, or dermatofibroma. Much more common than soft, and can be placed almost anywhere on the body, but mostly the appearance of dermatofibroma subject to all the same face, the limbs, especially the fingers and mucous membranes. It is a hard tumor, situated deeply in the skin layers, so it is often known as subcutaneous fibroma. The size of these tumors in some cases can reach 20 cm, while the mold is usually a mushroom-shaped or spherical, and the color often does not differ from the healthy skin.
Faced with the problem of the appearance of such tumors, the most important thing to remember is that any attempt to remove them yourself can cause serious complications. That is why it is necessary to apply only a qualified dermatologist, who will prescribe some tests to confirm the benign nature of the fibroid and pickthe best option for fixing it.
The most popular options for removing fibroids of the skin include:
- Traditional surgical excision under local anesthesia. Used in cases of fibroids of large size or their location deep in the skin layers. A significant disadvantage is the scarring remaining in the location of the operation.
- Removal of fibroma of the skin with a laser. Involves the gradual cutting of the tumor with a laser beam, which leaves no residue on the skin (slight scar self-absorbed in 2-3 months) and "seals" blood vessels, preventing bleeding. Does not require the use of anesthesia.
- Cryosurgery. The method is based on the destruction of the tissues of the fibroids using liquid nitrogen, but it is only applicable to tumors of small size, and can leave on the skin small scars.
- The radio wave method. This is the most modern treatment option in which the tumor is simply cut off with radiologia. Scars and bleeding in this case missing completely.
In addition, their recipes and offers traditional medicine. We are talking about a variety of decoctions, infusions and ointments that treat the fibroid of the skin. However, even their use is not without consulting the doctor, not to cause health damage.