Surgery for uterine fibroids. Is it dangerous?
Uterine fibroids are very common women's disease. Today, there are several ways to treat this disease. One of them remains surgery for uterine fibroids, which may be performed in various ways.
When do you need surgery?
- The very large size of the fibroid, if the size of the uterus corresponds to 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- In those cases, when the tumor interferes with the normal working of other organs. Often suffer from bladder and bowel.
- If the disease is accompanied by pain syndrome.
- In cases where the myoma is accompanied by endometriosis or ovarian tumor.
- If you change the menstrual function, and bleeding became too frequent and abundant. In these cases, often develop anemia that is associated with large blood loss.
- With the rapid growth of fibroids.
- Necrosis of myoma node, which may be caused by disturbance of its nutrition.
Types of operations for uterine fibroids
There are several types of operations that are performed in the case of formation of fibroids. All of them can be divided into two parts:
- Organ that removes directly the fibroids (myomectomy).
- Surgery that removes the uterus (hysterectomy).
In addition, surgery to remove uterine fibroids can be performed in various ways. This can be a surgery, hysteroscopic (vaginal), laparoscopic.
Hysterectomy surgery to remove the uterus
Hysterectomy is assigned in cases when it is impossible to do only removal of fibroids. Endometriosis, a plurality of nodes, their large size are the main indications for such an operation. This necessarily takes into account the age of the patient, the presence of her children and her desire to have them in the future. If children women do not have children, such operations are assigned only in cases where exhausted all other methods of treatment.
Hysterectomy may be performed as abdominal or laparoscopic or hysteroscopic. The choice of method of operation depends on the characteristics of the tumor, location of uterus, its mobility, comorbidities. For example, vaginal removal of the uterus is possible only in the absence of hypertrophy of the cervix and pathology of the appendages. If you suspect a malignancy of the appendages, the presence of adhesions is only possible abdominal surgery.
Myomectomy organ-preserving operation
Abdominal surgery to remove fibroids is done when you can't perform an intervention in a different way, when torsion legs myoma or necrosis. Today, this kind of operation is rare. The doctors try to surgical treatment of more gentle ways.
After abdominal surgery the patient will have to spend at least a week in the hospital, and the healing of the sutures occurs for a long period of time. To return to normal life will not immediately, and the internal and external incisions is not the best way affects state of health.
In the laparoscopic method of performing operations in the abdominal cavity through small incisions special instruments are introduced. They help to carry out the removal of fibroids. The recovery period after such surgery lasts only a few days.
The main tool of such an operation the hysteroscope. It is introduced to the uterus through the vagina and remove the fibroids. This type of intervention when the myoma is indicated for a single tumor growing on the front or back wall of the uterus.
Hysteroscopic surgery is performed on an outpatient basis, because well tolerated. The best time for such intervention in the first week of the menstrual cycle.
Contraindications to surgery
For sometime will have to postpone the operation in the case of inflammatory processes in the body. To return to the issue of the need for surgery after their treatment.
Some diseases can be absolute contraindications for surgery:
- Cardiac, renal, hepatic failure,
- Blood disease (hemophilia, hemorrhagic diathesis).
The fact that in such diseases the risk of life of the patient.
The treatment of uterine fibroids without surgery
- Waiting. With small nodes do not have clinical manifestations can only be assigned to the observation.
- Medication. This is done using hormones and symptomatic treatment.
- Embolization of the uterine artery. With the introduction of special substances into the uterine artery stops blood flow to the fibroids. Thus terminated the power of myomatous node, and it dies.
- FUZZ-ablation. This is the new method of treatment. Using a special ultrasound waves focused on the fibroid and destroy it.
Fibroids it is certainly not a reason to panic, because the tumor is benign. However, not to ignore it, because the situation in the body can change dramatically. Common cold or severe stress can be the impetus for more rapid development of fibroids, which can cause other health problems.