Removal of the uterus with the fibroids. Whether it is dangerous?
One of the worst scenarios when fibroids when medical treatment does not bring results, and the tumor continues to grow. At the same time, it can exert pressure on surrounding organs and cause disruption in their work and have an impact on the health of women. Doctors always try to use any possibility for the preservation of organs, that is, if necessary, surgical intervention to remove only the fibroids. However, to avoid removal of the uterus while fibroids do not always succeed.
Types of operations for uterine fibroids
Uterine artery embolization
This is the most minimally invasive surgery for uterine fibroids, it is performed under local anesthesia under video surveillance. In the femoral artery is entered a special catheter with a solution for embolization. Particles of this solution block the blood vessels that feed the fibroids. As a result, their blood circulation stops. Because the fibroids are deprived of food, they begin to shrink in size, "dry up".
This operation in most cases is successful. Complications and recurrence after it are extremely rare.
Surgery to remove fibroids called myomectomy" involves the removal of only the fibroids, or removing them with a small part of the uterus. This operation is carried out in different ways:
- Classic abdominal surgery. Such operations are now performed rarely, only in cases when in another way it can be done.
- Laparoscopic intervention is much better tolerated by patients. In this scenario, only two punctures in the abdominal wall to introduce instruments. Through these punctures are removed and the nodes.
- Abdominal myomectomy is performed through punctures. Single puncture made on the abdominal wall to provide access to the uterus. The second is in the uterus, in order to get to the site. Fibroids are excised or removed depending on the particular situation. Such operations are technically complex, and may not include all gynecologists. Most often they are prescribed for a single small nodes of women who want to have children.
- Vaginal myomectomy is the most traumatic type of surgery. However, possess such technology few doctors, mainly in hospitals and clinics. The advantages of the vaginal method is that the front abdominal wall is not damaged, and the incision is quite small, is located inside the vagina.
The consequences of the removal of uterine fibroids:
- Risk of recurrence of fibroids,
- Infection of the sexual sphere,
- Hormonal imbalance,
- The risk of infertility.
The recovery of the body after surgery to remove fibroids occurs quite quickly, within two to three weeks. Pregnancy after removal of fibroids, as a rule, does not occur sooner than 6 months. The body needs to recover from the stress, so some time ovulation occurs. Six months is enough to form a normal postoperative scar, and the uterus was in no condition to make pregnancy.
Radical surgery to remove the uterus a hysterectomy. In this case, the organ is removed completely.
Indications for removal of the uterus with the fibroids:
- Large size fibroids. Large is the size at which the uterus increases more than 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- Fibroids with severe clinical manifestations if the woman is already at least 35 years old, and she is not planning any more pregnancies.
- Fibroids while simultaneously lowering or prolapse of the uterus.
- Submucosal location of myomas, accompanied by prolonged bleeding, pain, anemia.
- Fibroids on a stalk. In this case, you may have torsion and necrosis of the tumor.
- Myoma located in the cervical areaof the uterus.
- Significant disruption of the functions of neighboring organs.
- A suspicion of cancerous degeneration of the fibroids.
This operation also can be performed open or laparoscopically. The only advantage of hysterectomy over other operations for fibroids is the absolute absence of tumor recurrence. All other effects can be attributed to shortcomings:
- Increases the risk of breast cancer and coronary heart disease,
- The inability to have more children
- Hormonal failure.
This operation is a heavy stress to the body. After her only after 5-6 months showing slight physical exertion. In connection with a change in the hormonal status of the body there is a need to take drugs. The body may need medication support for 2-3 years. Under normal psychological mood, the body gradually overcomes stress, and a woman can lead a perfectly normal, its customary way of life. The one thing she can't have children.