Malignant tumor of the throat — the symptoms of laryngeal cancer, treatment and prognosis
Malignant tumor of the larynx are diagnosed each year approximately 10 000 people, 4 000 of whom die. This is the most common disease that is in the first twenty in the list of oncological diseases about 70% of malignant tumors of the respiratory organs and pathways necessary for cancer of the larynx.
What is laryngeal cancer?
Typically, healthy tissue can not develop a malignant tumor of the larynx. This disease is preceded by pre-processes, accompanied by local change of tissues:
- fibroids on a broad basis
- chronic laryngitis
- papillomatosis in adults
- leukoplakia of the mucous membrane of the larynx
- polycystic laryngeal ventricles
- scars from burns
- scar tissue from tuberculosis, syphilis, scleroma
Groups and risk factors:
- Genetic predisposition
- Heavy smokers
- The abuse of alcohol in combination with Smoking doubles the risk
- Environmental conditions
- A profession related to the constant stress and "wear and tear" of the vocal cords (teachers, doctors)
- Professions associated with harmful (asbestos, sulphuric acid, Nickel, etc.)
- Excessive consumption of salty foods
- Age 60 years and older
- Gender (men get sick more often than women – 60%)
- Patients who previously suffered from cancer of the organs of the head and neck
The first signs of laryngeal cancer
The first symptoms of laryngeal cancer are symptoms of the common cold upper respiratory infection or allergic reaction. The patient complains of regular pain in the throat, scratchy, difficulty swallowing, swelling of the neck scratchiness, hoarseness. Also at an early stage may appearance of white spots or small ulcers in the throat. Because of similar symptoms it is very difficult to diagnose cancer of the larynx in the early stages. Unfortunately, in 80% of cases the first stage of the disease are asymptomatic. If these signs last for two weeks or more, you need to urgently consult a specialist otolaryngologist.
Bright clinical picture of laryngeal cancer:
- Chronic dry cough
- Cutting pain in the throat radiating to the ear
- Hearing loss
- The presence of streaks of blood in sputum
- Putrid breath
- Pain in the teeth, up to their loss
- A significant increase in cervical lymph nodes
- Weight loss
- Voice changes, until the complete loss of
- Difficulty breathing (if the tumor grows into the lumen of the larynx)
- Difficulty swallowing, not only during meals, but liquid
The most common form of cancer of the larynx
The most common form of laryngeal cancer is squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx, which is from 95 to 99% of malignant tumors of the larynx and striking in the Middleweight division of the larynx, where the vocal folds are located. Squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx is a malignant tumor of epithelial tissue of the larynx, which affects mostly smokers. Due to the fact that among all malignant tumors of the larynx, this disease is the most common, all symptoms, diagnostics and treatments will be covered, with emphasis on squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx.
Distinguish 5 stages of cancer of the larynx:
- zero stage or "cancer in place" (affects only the mucosa of the larynx, asymptomatic);
- the first stage (the tumor has invaded through the mucosa of the larynx, but do not hurt the surrounding tissue, organs or lymph nodes, vocal cords not damaged);
- the second stage (the tumor has spread to nearby parts of the larynx affected by the vocal folds, there is a voice change, there is osiplosti);
- the third stage (the tumor has invaded through the entire thickness of the tissues of the larynx, at least one immobile vocal folds,voice hoarse or non-existent);
- The fourth stage (the tumor has spread to the lymph nodes and other organs through metastases).
Laryngeal cancer grade 3
Unfortunately, most patients seek treatment when the disease "got his turn" and is diagnosed at the third stage. For cancer of the larynx 3rd degree, in connection with tumor invasion through all the walls of the larynx, including the defeat of the vocal folds, characterized by the following symptoms:
- hoarseness, not excluded, and complete loss of it;
- wet cough with streaks of blood in sputum;
- partial or complete dysphagia (difficulty swallowing during a meal and liquid);
- putrid smell from the mouth.
Laryngeal cancer 4 degrees
This is the last stage of laryngeal cancer with complications and obvious clinical manifestations. Along with symptoms of third stage cancer join:
- the tumor extends beyond the larynx;
- increase cervical lymph nodes 3 cm or more.
- increased pain in the ears;
- the change in the cartilage of the larynx on palpation;
- multiple metastases with other organ.
Methods of treatment of laryngeal cancer
In modern medical practice to use three methods of treatment of malignant tumors of the larynx:
- radiation therapy
- surgical technique
- the combined method
Chemotherapy – a method based on the use of special drugs, acting detrimental to cancer cells. This method of treatment is part of a combined treatment. Typically used before surgery, to reduce the size of the tumor, and after surgery for the final destruction of remaining cancer cells. Unfortunately, chemotherapy is an aggressive treatment method, because along with diseased cells are destroyed and healthy.
Radiation therapy – a method based on the effect of ionizing radiation on the cancer cells, i.e. the radiation exposure of the tumor. Since cancer cells differ in their physiological and metabolic processes of a healthy, consequently they are more sensitive to radiation. But in spite of this, along with the cancer cells, as with chemotherapy, dying and healthy cells.
Therefore, chemotherapy and radiation therapy are accompanied by side effects:
- weight loss;
- reduced immunity, due to the death of a large number of leukocytes.
Surgical technique – partial or total removal of the larynx, depending on the location and extent of proliferation of tumor. But there are contraindications to this method. If the tumor has invaded beyond the larynx and is closely intertwined with the neighboring tissues and organs, forming a single infiltration, i.e. not a clear border between the malignant tumor and a healthy tissue. However, in the treatment of cancer of the larynx is used combined method, i.e., chemotherapy + surgery, radiation therapy +surgical method.
Alternative throat cancer treatment
Given that the survival rate for five years, subject to correct treatment at various stages ranges from 95% to 25%, many patients decide to start treatment of laryngeal cancer folk remedies. Of course, before you start treatment of folk remedies should consult with your oncologist.
Recipe No. 1 Bay leaf
60 gr Bay leaf chop, pour 0.5 liters of vodka. To insist in a dark place for 12 days. Take tincture 1 tbsp. spoon 3 times a day 15 minutes before meals until recovery.
Recipe No. 2 Grass duckweed small
One teaspoon of chopped herbs duckweed little pour 50 ml of vodka. To insist in a dark place for 4 days. Pumptincture, take 15 drops in 50 ml of water 15 minutes before meals.
Recipe No. 3 Hemlock
3-liter jar pour one quart jar inflorescences Hemlock. Add 2 liters of 70% alcohol, to insist 21 days in a dark place, stirring occasionally a whole.
Starting with 1 drop in half a glass of cool boiled water at 8 a.m., each day increase the dose by one drop, up to 25 drops. If you experience dizziness, weakness, nausea or vomiting on the 15th drop, you need to go back to the dose of 13 drops to a glass of boiled cooled water and take this dose for 45 days. Then continue to use the scheme to 25 drops. If the fat bad on a 22 drop, you need to go back to a dose of 19 drops, taken for five days and last up to 25 drops for the scheme.
After reaching a dose of 25 drops, regimen changes. Take 15 drops every 4 hours (8-12-16-20 hours). To take to cure. If the body does not tolerate this dose, you can skip taking the drug in 16 hours for 45 days while the body gets used to the medication. And then continue the medication according to the scheme to cure.
With proper treatment the prognosis for patients with laryngeal cancer zero stage, the survival rate in the first five years is 96-100% , the first and second stage – 70-80%, the third stage – 60%, fourth stage – up to 25%.