Treatment of blood cancer
Blood cancer is called malignant tumors of the hematopoietic system, lymphatic system and bone marrow. Depending on the localization of cancer cells there are three types of diseases of this group:
- leukemia or leukaemia (education damaged by the cancer cells in the blood and using them to replace healthy blood cells);
- lymphoma (malignant tumors in the lymphatic system);
- multiple myeloma (tumors in the blood plasma).
The disease affects people of any age. Most common blood cancer in children and in men after fifty. Leukemia affected, even newborns. The disease is characterized by the following features:
- inhibition of normal hematopoiesis;
- education in the blood of immature, active cells, of a healthy replacement calf;
- tumor lesion of the lymph nodes, malignancy in the bone marrow, spleen and liver.
Laboratory and instrumental investigations
The first signs of blood cancer are not specific. General weakness, pallor, pain in the joints and bones, frequent dizziness and lack of appetite can indicate to other diseases. But, with the appearance of these ailments, you should consult a doctor. What are the main symptoms of blood cancer are detected in laboratory and instrumental studies?
1)General blood test for cancer. The main changes are:
- the reticulocytopenia;
- the mismatch rate of the number of white blood cells (you may experience a significant increase in leukemic form, for example, and decrease it when aleukemic form);
- the decrease in the number of Mature neutrophils;
- blastema (the formation of Mature blast cells);
- the lack of intermediate forms between the formation of Mature neutrophil granulocytes and blast cells (the phenomenon of "failure");
- the disappearance of basophils and eosinophils;
- increase in ESR.
2) bone marrow Biopsy. The main changes are:
- the high content of blast cells (30% or more);
- a sharp decrease in erythroid, granulocytic and megakaryocytic cells.
To clarify the diagnosis, determine the cancer may optionally be carried out:
- biopsy of the Ilium,
- cytochemical study of drugs sternal punctate (is of great importance when determining treatment of cancer of the blood),
- cytogenetic and immunological methods.
How to cure blood cancer?
The statement of this diagnosis is not a death sentence. The forecasts are quite favorable. Especially if the treatment of blood cancer began in the early stages. To conquering disease using the following methods:
- bone marrow transplant;
- administration of corticosteroid hormones, antiviral agents, antibiotics;
- enhanced immunity different drugs.
The most popular and effective methods are chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation.
Chemotherapy for cancer of the blood
Intravenous administration of potent drugs designed to destroy cancer cells. In case of failure of chemotherapy the chances of survival for the patient are almost there. This is the main and important method in the treatment of blood cancer.
The healing process is very long and complicated. During the first six months the patient continuously inject large doses of chemicals. The almost complete absence of leukocytes in the body leads to increased sensitivity and susceptibility to infections and the smallest microbes. So the patient needs hospital treatment and protection from the outside world.
After major procedures, the result must be sustained. And it is no lesslaborious and complex medical procedures. In some cases, the patient is doing radiation therapy of the brain.
The use of chemotherapy does not pass without consequences:
- damaged hair follicles;
- disrupted gastrointestinal tract;
- damaged bone marrow cells and reproductive system.
Bone marrow transplant
For this operation required a bone marrow donor. It may be a close relative or another person with a compatible blood. The more matches the composition of the blood, the greater the chance the patient has for full recovery or life extension.
First kill a sick man, all bone marrow cells. Then through a drip concentrate injected donor cells. This procedure is very dangerous. Therefore, is it strictly on the grounds (more often for young people with harmful malignant tumor).